Sunday, February 24, 2013

Modest Dressing at work


I have changed out my jeans and pants for skirts and dresses. I found some appropriate skirts for work at a second hand store.

The 1st day, the ladies in the office asked “What’s the occasion?” To which I replied I am starting to wear dresses, and that I used to wear them a lot more often. The 2nd day, the ladies said “I like your outfit today”. The 3rd day, my carpool driver asks “What’s up with the skirts, are you Amish now?” “I see you are wearing a scarf, too.” “I figured it was for Lent or something.” I replied that I am wearing skirts for modesty reasons and that it is very freeing; and the headcovering is for prayer reasons. She mentioned she may have a couple of skirts for me (as she only wears pants).

In my immediate work area, there is one older gentleman (with all of us gals). He chatted with me for a few minutes and noticed that I was not wearing pants but a skirt. He complemented me on my feminine/modest dress and said that there are so many crazy styles out there and he wishes more women dressed in skirts or dresses as they used to when he was younger (currently 70). I thanked him and said I believed more women were beginning to dress modestly again.

I think the awkwardness at work is over (for the most part) and I don’t think there will be any other places that I will feel uncomfortable in my new mode of dressing.

Skirts (and I’m sure dresses) are definitely more freeing and comfortable than pants. I also feel more feminine in them.

I received my new headcoverings and am very happy with the finished products from www.garlandsofgrace.com – so happy that I have ordered 2 more of one style which is the discreet one for work.

Our weather is still “winter-like” but I just wear my hiking boots to and from work as needed.

The Lord leads the way and we are to follow. I know that the way we dress doesn’t make us better Christians; yet, the way we dress is an action that gets judged by others. By my modest dress and actions, I hope to convey an appropriate Christian attitude to all who see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment